Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Jane Eyre Part 1: Proposal Scenes Comparison

I've been thinking about the book Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte lately...  Mostly because of all the talk/hype about the new movie adaptation that is coming out in March of this year....  I am very much on the fence about this new adaptation, I'm just not sure it can live up to the splendid performances that are in the 2006 mini-series starring Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson...

The biggest factor for me is the pivotal scene where Jane and Rochester are outside in the garden/woods, and he is telling her that he will be married and she must be sent away...  Ruth Wilson's line delivery of "poor, obscure, plain, and little" gets me every single time, and I think it is the BEST line delivery so far...  There is soo much passion and emphasis with that simple line, and from watching the trailer I just don't think that Mia nailed it, at all...  I mean that line is pivotal, it is where she professes herself to be Rochester's equal...  Jane is a very passionate person, as is mentioned from the beginning of the book (by her aunt Reed), and again emphasized later by St. John Rivers...  Yes she is a bit reserved, but she also has a fiery spirit within her, as can be seen by her quick responses to Rochester...

Example of the proposal scenes:

I think my biggest fear is the time limit of the new movie...  I am all for watching a movie adaptation that is 3+ hours long, I have absolutely NO problem with this... In fact I would almost prefer it so that as much material can be covered as possible to remain as faithful to the book as possible...  Of course I know I'm probably of the minority in that opinion...

There is more that I want to write about, but I think it will be better left to a second post...  So until then...

1 comment:

  1. I love that Ruth Wilson makes those words so emotional, almost too unbearable to say out loud. It hurts her that people think that of her.

    All others sound like they are stating descriptors to put on a license application. Where's the pain? The defiance against being called such things?

    The video was very helpful. I'm glad your editing software is working nicely!

    ReplyDelete