Pages

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Wading Through Fog and The Wisdom of Anne Shirley

I must admit that I have been remiss in my blogging as of late... It's not that I haven't thought of things to blog about... It's only that personally I've been in a sort of funk...  I hit a point where things just started to not make sense anymore, and I had no idea where I was going or what I was doing...  These things happen...  I've had to rethink my goals and the path I'm on to reach those goals...  The worst part is that I've felt stuck in a not so good situation, not one that I can immediately change, I just have to kinda ride the wave until it's all over...

To not be overly vague about the situation I shall elaborate...  I applied to graduate school and was rejected by both of the schools to which I applied... Yes, a complete bummer... But not quite as life-shattering as I thought it would be... That part I am quite ok with, because these things happen... The craptastic situation is the one class I'm taking this semester...  It is by far the WORST class I have ever taken in my field of study, and has made me seriously rethink what I want to do...

So because of this whole debacle I haven't really been the greatest with formulating thoughts into coherent statements for blogging purposes...  (Well that and I really want to blog about the new Jane Eyre movie, but it's not out in my area yet, so I have to wait...)

But today I have had an epiphany of sorts...  One that has brought to mind Anne Shirley (from the Anne of Green Gables series by L. M. Montgomery...)  I have always admired the character of Anne, and I wish that I had read the books in my youth rather than in my college years...  Although I first fell in love with Anne through the Sullivan Entertainment movie productions (which I have a rant about, and will make another blog post about at a later time...)  I think I would have a slightly different outlook on life if I had read them sooner... But that is neither here nor there..

There is a time in Anne's life where she comes to a point where she has to make a very important decision...  Matthew has passed away, and Marilla's eyesight is very bad...  If Marilla is not careful she will be blind... Now Anne is all set to go away to Redmond college to earn her BA degree...  But instead she decides to stay home, teach, and take college classes by correspondence...  Now my situation is slightly different, as there is no family ailment (thankfully!!)  But where things looked so cold, bleak, and slightly hopeless before, now I have more purpose and more drive...  "There is always a bend in the road" as Anne says, and no one's life is ever as straight and clear cut as one imagines things will be...

For me, I haven't completely given up going for my Masters Degree...  I've somewhat changed what I want the end result to be...  I know I need to take care of the things that need to be taken care of right now, and then once I get all of that mess straightened out I can work on striving towards the next level...  So it's going to take me longer than I had anticipated, but that's ok... The only NO in the equation is myself...

No comments:

Post a Comment