Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Review: Jane Eyre (2011)

I will warn you ahead of time that there are massive spoilers in this post...  So please if you have not read the book (then you should read it before you see the movie!!!) or have not seen this movie yet BEWARE...  I also give no mercy...  That being said, here goes with my review...



I really love Jane Eyre...  The novel is one of my favorites, even it really goes too much into religion for my personal taste...  At this point I do not remember if I read the novel first and then saw one of the movie adaptations, but I'm pretty sure I read the novel first...  I think the reason why I love the novel so much is because it touches on sensitive topics, religion, redemption, perseverance, sense of self, love, passion, etc.  I have a hard time reading most of the beginning of the novel because of all the things that happen to Jane during her formative years... To date, I have also seen 6 movie adaptations, they are listed in order of my personal preference, with the last 3 on the list actually all being tied for the worst:
  1. 2006 BBC adaptation with Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson
  2. 1983 BBC adaptation with Timothy Dalton and Zelah Clarke
  3. 1973 adaptation with Sorcha Cusack and Michael Jayston
  4. 2011 adaptation with Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender
  5. 1996 adaptation with William Hurt and Charlotte Gainsbourg
  6. 1997 adaptation with Samantha Morton and Ciran Hinds
Now I have also become a mini-series convert...  I have found that even movies I LOVE, that are blockbusters or Hollywood made movies just do NOT have enough character development for my taste...  (For example, I LOVE the 2005 adaptation of Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley, but prefer to watch the 1995 mini-series version with Jennifer Ehle because there is way more character development and storyline within the movie...)

To me, watching this adaptation was partially painful...  I spent a majority of the movie bringing my hand to my face, shaking my head, and pointing at the screen in a "wft" moment...  The book starts with her early life, as do most of the movie adaptations...  I do give credit where credit is due...  The 2011 version does not exactly start at the beginning, it starts in the middle and deals the majority of the movie in flashback...  While I prefer the movie to begin as the book, I do understand why it starts where it does because it helps to draw in the viewer, so it is aimed more with American audiences, because for those who have NOT read the book they will be drawn into the story, wondering why the hell she's running...  I do like this change in the beginning...

My biggest problems with this adaptation:
  1. length of movie
  2. character development
  3. use of sexuality
  4. lack of suspense
  5. scene (shot) stealing
  6. lack of backstory for all of the characters
Sure if you have read the novel then you can fill in the blanks yourself, but I'm thinking about those unfortunate individuals who have NOT read the novel yet (although SHAME ON YOU.)  As much as I dislike (hate) the beginning of the novel, I do admit that is is crucial to the development of Jane's character, so it is very important to be shown...  I really don't feel there was enough of Jane's backstory present to fully give the viewer a perception of her life before Thornfield Hall...  The persecution by her Aunt reed, who was a mean, hateful woman, who showed Jane no love, only resentment...  That fact barely came through in this version...

Also the relationship between Jane and Helen Burns is a very crucial part of the storyline, how Helen effected Jane's life...  Helen was the first friend Jane ever had in her life, she was the first person to really show Jane any affection or kindness (other than Bessie one of the maids in the reed household)...  She was the driving force in the shaping of Jane's character...  This version did not do the relationship justice at all, because it was so glossed over...

The movie also did not show how or why Jane left Lowood Institution for Thornfield Hall (which, I don't even remember if they mentioned the name of the estate in the movie), she just arrives at the hall in a carriage... They do however show the mistake of Jane's thinking Adele is Mrs. Fairfax's daughter, and that the estate belonged to her...  I did NOT like the focus on the nude painting on the wall as Mrs. Fairfax is showing Jane to her bedroom... Right from that moment, I knew that the focus of the movie was going to be on sex and not the emotional and spiritual connection between two characters (which is the truth and actuality of the novel)...  (I have no objection to classical nude paintings, but for this particular movie the usage is very incorrect...)

There was just way too much emphasis on sexuality in this movie, the novel barely has any inference of sexuality...  For example the bedroom scene:
  • in this version Mr. Rochester has no pants, only his dressing gown, and puts his pants on while Jane is in the room
  • in most versions Mr. Rochester is wearing pants while laying in bed
  • in the novel Jane walks out of the room to fetch a candle while Mr. Rochester changes his soaked clothing.
Jane saved Rochester's life...  The reason why the scene is so charged is because of the passion, not the sexuality...  In the novel Rochester looks into her eyes, holds her hand, and speaks honestly with sincerity, and that is why Jane starts to fall in love with him, not because of the sexual tension and them almost kissing...  Also the whole Grace Poole / Bertha Mason mystery is barely mentioned...  Which is crazy because it is the big suspense/mystery of the novel...  To me the fact that this was left out actually made the version less Gothic than it was hyped to be...  Sure there was a little of the sinister laughter and screaming of Mason (who btw was played by WAY too young of an actor, I mean he's supposed to be about the same age as Mr. Rochester), but not enough to truly make it suspenseful...

In this version the budding relationship between Jane and Rochester seems very much based on attractive looks...  In the novel there is definite stress on the fact that neither Jane or Rochester are attractive individuals...  The biggest attraction between the two characters is the fact that their minds and intellect are similar...  Rochester falls in love with Jane because she doesn't fall all over him like most of the women he has met, and she doesn't give a wit about his money...  He is attracted to her because she is all that he has been searching for...  He acted the way he did because he wanted HER to fall in love with HIM...  That whole bit is completely lost in this version...

Also Blanche Ingram and her mother are suspicious of Jane???  Where did that come from?  Blanche did not come across as mean at all in this movie, she's not supposed to be suspicious of Jane...  She looks down on Jane because of her position in the household, not because she is suspicious of Jane and Rochester being in love...  The big undercurrent of Mr. Rochester taking liberties with his servants was a very questionable use of plot line...  His character is not like that, so I don't know why they felt the need to put that in the movie...  Mr. Rochester, though full of many faults, is an honorable man...  If he wasn't, he would not have taken in Adele, and he would not have kept Bertha in the house and taken care of her...  None of this really comes across in the movie...

There is just so much more wrong with this version:
  • no explanation of why Rochester lied to Jane about being married
  • the relationship reveal of St. John Rivers and his sisters to Jane is missing (they end up being cousins)
  • Mrs. Fairfax being at Thornfield and speaking to Jane when Jane returns to find out what has happened to Mr. Rochester after she had fled
  • Mr. Rochester not being at Ferdean, and instead was at Thornfield
  • no actual resolution to the story, other than Jane and Rochester embracing (wtf was up with the beard?? also his arm wasn't withered nor was his eye scarred)
Overall the movie itself was not a bad movie, it just should have had a different title and different character names...  It just did not do the story of Jane Eyre justice...  As my friend and I stated after seeing the movie: "We came to see Jane Eyre, and that's not what we got."

Once the movie comes out on DVD, I am going to give it another try...  I will watch it again, and most likely post either new things that I missed, or if I have changed my mind about the movie... But on first impression this version gets a massive thumbs down...

No comments:

Post a Comment